Sunday, March 25, 2012

Irrigating Your Garden

Before long, your plants will be in the ground and growing quickly. This means that they will require lots of water. Since summer rains can be hard to predict, it could be wise to irrigate your garden. Watering by hand with a watering can is more than adequate, but if you have lots of gardens or just a large plot in general, irrigating could be a more efficient solution.

Water dripping for a black irrigation hose.

Last summer, I took a few scraps of black irrigation hose home from work to put in my garden. One of the gentlemen I worked with suggested I pick up a hose attachment from the local hardware so I could attach it to my house water spicket.  After doing this, I ran the irrigation line through my summer and winter squash plants to see how it would work. It worked beautifully! Because the hose has pre-made holes already placed at consistent intervals (6, 9, or 12 inches), I could place the holes near the plant's roots without water the rest of the non used garden space which just generates weeds.

I would definitely consider purchasing some of this hose if you are looking for a watering solution.

Enjoy!


Photo courtesy of DripWorks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment